Choosing Ideal Shih Tzu Puppy Treats
It cannot be denied that a Shih Tzu is an adorable companion. They are a small, sturdy dog known for their elegant, long, flowing coat along with round eyes that most people cannot resist. With just a single look from this breed, you might be tempted to hand out a treat.
When it comes to Shih Tzu puppy treats, it is important to choose the right ones. Remember that the quality of the dog treats that you will provide this breed has a direct impact on overall health. Due to the wide selection of treats available in the market, it can be a difficult task to find the best possible choices.
Generally, treats or snacks only comprises 10% of your dog’s diet. Treats also play an important role during training and establishing good behavior. When selecting the right treats for your dog, it must be done in the same manner as finding good-quality dog food.
When is the Right Time to Provide a Treat?
Always remember to set the right balance. Many people might be tempted to provide a treat every time the dog begs for one, but the behavior should not be allowed to continue. If allowed, you might end up giving more treats than necessary.
Some of the suitable scenarios to hand out a treat include:
- A Reward for Good Behavior. Whether your dog is successful during house training, obeying commands or showing the appropriate behavior, you can establish a desirable outcome with praise and special treat. Providing praise is vital since a puppy learns a great deal from cues. Giving your companion a treat delivers an immediate signal that a particular action is being rewarded.
- Generally, toy breeds have a fast metabolism and low reserve on fats. This is the main reason why they are more susceptible to hypoglycemia than the larger dog breeds. Understandably, meals are likely to burn off rapidly. The best way to ensure that your Shih Tzu is properly nourished is to provide 2-3 meals a day along with small snacks distributed throughout the day.
Ideal Shih Tzu Puppy Treats
There are a variety of options when it comes to treats for Shih Tzu puppies, but there are certain considerations to bear in mind when selecting one.
- Treats for a Shih Tzu puppy must be nutritious. Aside from training, these treats are considered as essential dietary supplements. Remember that this is important for small dog breeds that should eat frequently to maintain optimum health and might have highly sensitive digestive tracts.
- Suitable treats for puppies should have an enjoyable flavor. The treats serve as a motivational tool for your puppy. Since the Shih Tzu has an independent or stubborn streak that makes training a challenging task, it is best to try out a variety of treats. Remember that a strong drive for food can greatly help during training.
- Look for treats that are specially formulated with your dog in mind and choose one that is suitable for puppies. Make sure that it is small or soft enough to be broken down into smaller pieces which makes it ideal as a quick reward. Furthermore, the treat must be formulated to be easy on the digestive tract without any artificial or allergy-inducing components.
Caloric Limitations for a Shih Tzu
Generally, the breed requires more frequent meals than the bigger dogs. You should provide a Shih Tzu with a calorie-rich dog food. As for the treats, they are essential in establishing a balanced diet, preventing health issues as well as making your dog feel good.
Remember though that around 10% or less of the daily calories should come from treats. It simply means that you should only provide one to three treats in a day. It is important to check the labels of the product or consult a veterinarian on a suitable amount since every treat has different components.
Important Factors When Buying Shih Tzu Puppy Treats
When choosing the right treats for a Shih Tzu puppy, there are several factors to consider in finding the ideal treats that works well for your companion.
- Hypoallergenic Ingredients. Generally, Shih Tzus are prone to allergies in which certain dog foods or treats can trigger a variety of reactions including skin irritation. Avoid treats that contain gluten, grains, soy, fillers or corn. Choose treats that contain natural, wholesome ingredients such as real meats and fish as well as healthy fruits.
- The ideal treats should not include any artificial additives such as flavoring, coloring and any preservatives. Good-quality treats do not need flavor since they include real meats and fruits and preserved using vitamin blends. If vitamins are included, they are often listed as ascorbate or tocopherol on the packaging.
- High-quality Protein. It is recommended to avoid any unknown by-products that are detrimental to the digestive tract.
- Additional Health Supplements. Check for ingredients that aid with the development and general health of your Shih Tzu such as omega 3 fatty acids (DHA).
- Proper Size. The treats must be specifically made for small dogs so that they are easy to hand out.
- Easy to Digest. The digestive tract of small dogs including the Shih Tzu is highly sensitive. When selecting treats, the formulation must be mild and should not include any unnatural ingredients.
- Made in the U.S.A or Canada. Do not forget to opt for treats that are both sourced and packaged in the US or Canada. The meat from other countries might be unsafe and contain questionable components.
- Variety of Flavor Options. Since Shih Tzus can be picky and each has different tastes, there should be various options of flavors to choose from.
Remember that some poor-quality dog treats include questionable components that can also trigger allergies and other health issues. Choose only good-quality treats for your Shih Tzu.
What Should You Avoid?
If some of these ingredients are present in the list of ingredients on the dog treats that you are checking, they must be avoided:
- Artificial Additives. Chemical-based coloring and flavoring can trigger an allergic reaction including skin issues such as irritation or hot spots, coat issues such as dry or brittle hair and digestive issues such as vomiting or watery stools.
- Sugar Content. It is important to limit the amount of sugar your dog eats. Excess sugar can be detrimental to the overall health of your Shih Tzu. Large amounts can result in conditions such as tooth decay, obesity, anxiety, and increased nervousness.
- Chemical Preservatives. The presence of synthetic preservatives in dog food or treats can be detrimental to the overall health of your Shih Tzu. Aside from the potential health issues, it can also be toxic.
- By-products and Generic Meats. The by-products are animal parts considered unsuited for human consumption while generic meats can be worse which might include road kill, dead or diseased animals and even those that were euthanized.
- Ingredients That are Difficult to Digest. Various dog treats either include rawhide or have a hide-like consistency that can potentially cause serious issues such as internal blockage or as a choking hazard. Since Shih Tzus have a sensitive stomach, any hard-to-digest ingredient can trigger digestive issues.
How to Effectively Use Treats for Puppy Training
During puppy training, you need the right treats to reinforce proper behavior. This is essential for puppies which establish the foundation for an obedient and well-behaved adult dog. Providing a delicious treat along with affection and praise is the key to success.
A recommended approach is to save the favorite treat of your Shih Tzu to be used as a special motivator during the training sessions. In another approach, since your dog requires frequent snacks, you can utilize every moment you hand out a treat to work on training.
Even the simple commands can be repeated frequently every time you provide a treat. You also have the option to break down soft treats into smaller portions.
Recommended Shih Tzu Puppy Treats
If you are in search of ideal treats for your Shih Tzu puppy, there are good options to choose from that you can use as a tasty snack or for training.
Wellness Puppy Bites
These all-natural treats do not include any grain, soy, corn, gluten, meat by-products or any artificial flavoring or colors. Only premium ingredients are used and available in various flavors such as soft lamb and salmon, carrot and crunchy chicken.
By choosing this treat for your Shih Tzu, it will provide good-quality protein and omega-3 fatty acids. The treats also include protein, fruits, vegetables, and flax-seed.
Furthermore, salmon oil is one of the ingredients which is an important component in brain development. It is also suitable for dogs with sensitive stomachs.
The best feature of these treats is that they are specifically sized for puppies and manufactured in the USA. You can break down these treats into smaller portions if needed for use during training. The delectable flavor and aroma of the treats will be surely enjoyed by your companion.
Natural Balance Mini Rewards Dog Treats
This dog treat is available for all dogs in all life stages. The small variety is ideal for small breeds including the Shih Tzu.
If you want a treat for the training sessions, this is the best option since they contain less than 5 calories each. Only premium ingredients are used to ensure a semi-moist meaty and chewy consistency that your dog will surely enjoy.
The treats do not contain any wheat, corn, preservatives or artificial colors or flavoring. This is the ideal choice for Shih Tzus who are susceptible to allergies.
Depending on your preferences, you can choose from a variety of flavors – lamb, chicken or duck. This treat is an ideal source of high-quality protein and fatty acids.
It is manufactured in the USA and does not contain any grain, making it the ideal choice for dogs with a sensitive digestive tract. Furthermore, it also includes salmon oil which is essential for brain development.
Pet Science Secret 100% All-Natural Healthy Dog Treats
This dog treat is specially formulated by Pet Science Secret which is a suitable option not only for their small size but also it is hypoallergenic. The treats are 100% natural without any fillers or additives as well as free from soy, corn, wheat, and grains.
Aside from being hypoallergenic, the ingredients support a variety of functions in your dog include dental and joint support as well as boosting the immune system and reducing inflammation.
You can choose from a variety of flavors such as peanut butter crunch, blueberry, beef, turkey or sweet potato. Each of these flavors provides distinct health benefits for your dog.
Zuke’s Mini Naturals Dog Treats
With this dog treat, it has the ideal size as a training reward or as a tasty snack for your Shih Tzu. For every variety of this treat, it is made only with high-quality protein, savory herbs, wholefood berries. It is free from wheat, corn, soy or preservatives which makes it the best choice for the breed that is prone to allergies.
You can choose from a variety of flavors for your Shih Tzu such as chicken, duck, rabbit, pork, salmon and peanut butter and oats.
With only less than 3 calories for each treat, it provides your companion a guilt-free snacking experience that can satisfy his/her needs.
Old Mother Hubbard Crunchy Classic Natural Dog Treats
The puppy formula by Old Mother Hubbard is available in chicken flavor with additional vitamins and minerals ideal for growing puppies. These highly-nutritious biscuits are oven-baked to seal in the taste and crunchy quality.
It is the best choice for a tasty snack or during training. Your dog will surely love this treat that you will hand out as a crunchy bone-shaped dog biscuit.
The treat is all-natural and manufactured in the USA. The treats only contain premium ingredients without any artificial preservatives.
Fruitables Crunchy Dog Treats
The dog treats by Fruitables come in a variety of flavors to choose from. You will surely find one that your Shih Tzu likes best.
The treats are oven-baked with an enticing aroma that is bound capture the attention of your companion. With less than 8 calories in every treat, it is a guilt-free experience during every snack or during training.
The treats are rich in vitamins, antioxidants, and fiber to aid with the development of your puppy.
The product is manufactured in the USA and free from corn, soy, wheat, artificial coloring or preservatives which makes it the ideal choice for allergy-prone dogs.
Always bear in mind that once you decide to adopt a Shih Tzu, the training requires consistency and patience. With positive and motivational training with treats, you will have a well-behaved and properly trained companion.
How Much Grooming Do Shih Tzu Need? Shih Tzu ar...
Shih Tzu Grooming Tools and SuppliesGrooming your ...
Here's some pictures of some adorable Shih Tzu...
Shih Tzu Brushes Buyers Guide Your Shih Tzu's Coa...
Shih Tzu Combs A Shih Tzu is a small, snugly buil...
Shih Tzu Temperament and Personality A Shih Tzu i...